Purpose of Con Edison Gas Main Project:
To upgrade gas distribution system, replace old piping, and provide better gas service to area.
Click here for the preliminary project description and preliminary project maps from Con Edison (subject to modifications).
Gas Main Replacement/System Reinforcement Project in Rye Brook:
- Con Edison Project starting Monday, June 14th and will continue for approximately 4 months.
- Work will be done and days and/or nights depending upon the work areas and tasks.
- Noise and disruptions are expected.
- Travelers should plan accordingly… expect delays, periodic road closures, some detours, consider alternate routes.
- Con Edison is hoping to maintain one lane of traffic in each direction on the main and wider roads (i.e. Westchester Ave, Ridge Street), and limit detours as much as possible elsewhere. Night work in more congested areas may also minimize some impacts.
- Emergency services, the Rye Ridge Shopping Center, and the school district have all been notified of the project have made suggestions to minimize impacts. Con Edison is trying to minimize any community disruptions as much as possible.
Rye Brook Project Area:
- Bowman Avenue from Ridge Street to the Port Chester Middle School
- Ridge Street from West William Street to Avon Circle (south entrance/exit)
- West William Street (all)
- Westchester Avenue from the Hilton service entrance to just east of Ridge Street
- Intersection of Westchester Avenue and Lincoln Avenue
July 22, 2021 Con Ed Reports…
- We continue making excellent progress on the area. We currently have all of the new pipe energize to the intersection of Westchester Ave. We doing gas service transfers to the new main days and nights.
- Tonight we have the digging crew working on the intersection of Westchester Ave. & S. Ridge. We are planning to trench across the intersection.
- The crew working on gas services are going to transfer the service for the Rye Ridge Shopping Center tonight. Hawkeye is going to have two gas crew performing the work.
- Next week we are going to do a tie in on Bowman Ave. and the final Tie in on Franklin. The plan is to have all the Gas work on S. Ridge Between Ellendale and Westchester Ave. complete by the end of next week. While the digging crew continue digging on Westchester Ave.
July 15, 2021: Con Ed Reports…
- We continue to make good progress. We currently have all of the new pipe installed to the intersection of Westchester Ave.
- Tonight we plan on energizing all of that pipe so that we can begin transferring all of the customers in that area to the new main. Throughout the week, we will be making appointments with the affected customers to transfer their service. For the shopping centers and the school, there will be no service interruptions. Some of the service work will need to be done during the day, so you may see a service crew or two in the neighborhood throughout the day. Their impact to traffic will be minor, but we will continue to coordinate with RBPD.
- The trenching crew will be buttoning up some loose ends for this portion of the project tonight, but will begin working in the intersection of Westchester Ave & Ride St tomorrow night.
- The plan is to complete the intersection and N Ridge St first, then start working West on Westchester Ave to just West of the Hilton Service Entrance. Again, all of that work is planned to be performed between the hours of 7pm-6am right now.
July 8, 2021: Con Ed Reports…
- We are continuing to make good progress. We are almost at the intersection of Ridge St & Westchester Ave. The plan is to get the new pipe installed up to the intersection, then begin energizing everything installed south of Westchester Ave so that we can start swinging over the services, abandon & purge the old main, and backfill everything up to that point, and shortly after that, permanently pave that area while we continue work on N Ridge & Westchester Ave.
- We have shrunk down to 1 crew for the time being. We plan on working the intersection of Ridge & Westchester at night, then start moving West on Westchester Ave also at night because we get 11 working hours vs the 7 hours the NYSDOT would approve for daytime hours for that section. We would then fall back and complete N Ridge also at night hopefully if that works for everyone.
- We will continue to have a crew sporadically working during the day to prepare the already installed pipe to be energized. That crew will have minimal impact to traffic and we will continue to coordinate with RBPD.
July 1, 2021: Con Ed Reports…
- 3 weeks in, and we continue to make good progress. We are continuing to work with 2 crews. At this point, all of the new gas main on S Ridge Between Bowman & Ellendale is installed, as well as all of the new gas main on Bowman. The 2 crews are working on S Ridge simultaneously working towards each other from Westchester Ave & Bowman.
- We anticipate having the remainder of the new pipe installed on S Ridge by late next week. At that point, a crew will begin test pitting on Westchester Ave in the intersection of Ridge St, still on nights as we planned. The remainder of that work will take place at night.
- Once we get into the intersection, we will only have one crew working. They will complete the work in the intersection and whatever other work we can at night, before switching onto days to complete the work on Westchester Ave outside of the intersection.
- Just a reminder that we will not have crews working this weekend in observance of the Independence day holiday. We will begin working again Tuesday night.
- Once all of the gas main is installed on S Ridge, the plan is to start energizing that section and transferring the services to the new main. This will require some day time work, however, our footprint will be small. The work zone will consist of one truck taking up approx. 80’ of the roadway. Some of the prep work may begin as early as next week. We don’t anticipate this being detrimental to traffic flow. We will coordinate with RBPD.
June 24, 2021: Con Ed Reports…
- 2 weeks in, we are making good progress. 2 crews are continuing to work towards the intersection of Bowman & S Ridge.
- Once both crews make it to the intersection (likely to be in the next couple of nights), they will be too close to work together, so we plan on moving one of the crews to S Ridge just South of Westchester Ave, to begin working South towards the other crew to continue to be productive.
- There will be no lane closures needed on S Ridge, however, the work taking place in the intersection of S Ridge & Bowman will require intermittent road closures to facilitate main installation. Rye Brook PD will be on location throughout process.
- Both crews will be working this Saturday night. Just a reminder again, we are not planning on working at all next Saturday and Monday nights due to the holiday weekend. We will return Tuesday night.
Con Ed Update as of 6/17/2021:
- As of 06-16-2021, Con Ed installed approx. 200’ of new gas main on S Ridge, which is good progress thus far.
- Con Ed We has crews working on Bowman Avenue Thursday to Sunday (June 17-20).
- Once Con Ed stars trenching on Bowman Avenue, they will need to close the road, but we will have traffic control set up to safely direct traffic out of the shopping center on S Ridge Street to go north was well. PD will also be on the job to help Con Ed with that.
- Going into next week, Con Ed will continue test pitting and trenching on S Ridge moving towards the intersection of Bowman Ave, and working their way on Bowman Avenue towards the intersection of S Ridge Street.
- Just an early heads up that Con Edison will not be working at all Saturday night July 3rd. Right now the plan is to work Friday, July 2nd and return Tuesday night July 6th.
Con Ed Update as of 6/17/2021:
- From the night of Monday 14 to last night Hawkeye crew excavated multiple test pits to find a clear lane to install the New gas Main.
- Located plastic Gas Service for the shopping Center on the East side of S. Ridge.
- Excavated the Tie – In pit by Franklin Ave. and S. Ridge.
- Excavated and located the Gas Service for address 111 &142.
- The crew Saw cut the intersection of Allendale Ave. & S. Ridge St.
- On Bowman Ave. Hawkeye crew excavated a Tie – In Pit, across the street from the School on the grass area.
- Tonight, the crew is schedule to excavate and install Gas pipe on S. Ridge St.
Con Ed Update as of 6/11/2021:
- Elecnor Hawkeye is going to have one crew working on the Gas Main Replacement Project on 6/14/21 from 7:00 PM to 7:00 AM on S. Ridge St. from Ellendale Ave. to Bowman Ave. The crew is going to be doing test pits on the East side of the street. Rye Brook Police officers are going to be on location helping with the traffic. Hawkeye is going provide flaggers to help with the traffic going in and out of the Shopping Center.
- On 6/15/21 the second crew is going to start digging test pits on the south side of Bowman Ave. going east towards the entrance of the Shopping Center. The goal is to have two crews working simultaneously to expedite completion of the job.