Good evening Rye Brook residents
Con Ed crews were in the Village today finishing up the removal of downed wires to open roads, as well as repairing transmission lines. As of 6PM this evening, they were completing the repair of the tremendous damage on Winding Wood. We have been told by Con Ed that the same crew will be addressing the transmission wire damage on North Ridge Street tomorrow morning. That Ridge Street repair is the key to many of the outages in Rye Brook as those high voltage transmission lines feed many of the areas throughout the Village that currently do not have power.
I understand that not having power is miserable, especially during a pandemic. During “normal” times, when there is an extended power outage, many residents would go stay with friends or family, or even move into a nearby hotel. Unfortunately, due to the pandemic, that is not a possibility and I really sympathize with you. Please remember that our cooling and charging center will be open tomorrow at the AJP Community Center at 32 Garibaldi Place from 1PM to 4PM.
In my email and voicemail last night, I indicated that full restoration of the Village might not happen before this weekend. According to Con Ed, the “vast majority” of their customers will be restored by end of day this Sunday. Whether Rye Brook fits into the “vast majority” is still to be determined, as they have also indicated to myself and the Village Administrator that Westchester’s total restoration will be by 11PM on Monday.
I wish I had better news for you, but that is all the information I have as of this evening, and I am trying to set everyone’s expectations.
I will provide more information as I receive it. I wish you all a pleasant evening.
Rye Brook Debris Clearing Policy:
- Starting Monday, August 10th Rye Brook Public Works staff will start and make one pass through the Village to help clear branches and small limbs, less than 4 inches in diameter, from the curb. Please do not place them in the street.
- NO STUMPS, LOGS OR LARGE LIMBS will be collected.
- IMPORTANT: This service is intended for the type of loose branches and small limbs that fell on the property and do not require a tree contractor for removal. If a larger limb or tree is being removed by a contractor, please have your contractor remove the material off your property and do not place it at the curb as it will not be collected by the Village.
- Residents are urged not to ask field workers about restoration times. These workers are often not Con Ed employees, are from out-of-state, and do not have the accurate information. It also slows down the restoration process.
- Con Ed Has special procedures for those customers with Life Support Equipment, Emergencies and Special Services. For more information residents should visit https://www.coned.com/en/accounts-billing/payment-plans-assistance/special-services to register their information with Con Ed.
- For Elderly, Blind and Disabled residents, Con Ed encourage them to contact and register with their Senior Direct representatives at 800-404-9097, Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm.
- The AJP Community Center at 32 Garibaldi Place will be open from 1:00pm to 4:00pm on Friday as a charging and cooling center. It is a great place to cool off and charge your phones/laptops/computers.
- Due to concerns with COVID, there are several restrictions in place including the wearing of masks and other precautions.