Paving Notice - Update 7/6/2022

FAQ Topic: Fire

Am I required to have carbon monoxide detectors in my home?

Since 2010, NY State Law has required every home having an attached garage or other source of carbon monoxide such as oil or gas burning heating equipment or a gas stove, to be equipped with carbon monoxide detectors installed outside of each sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedrooms.

What are symptoms of CO poisoning?

Initial symptoms are flu like but without the fever. Other signs include headaches, fatigue, nausea and dizziness which may seem to last for days. If CO is detected in your home, have everyone leave immediately and call the fire department and wait outside or at a neighbors home.

How do I prevent CO?

Proper maintenance and venting all fuel burning appliances is crucial. Examples are your furnace, hot water heater, dryers and fireplaces. Never leave a car running in attached garages even with the garage door opening. Never run gas power tools or engines inside.

How does CO enter homes?

Any fuel burning appliance is a potential source of CO if not properly maintained, vented and in poor working condition.

Close window